VMware ESXi Server is virtualization software, which provides virtualization technology and allows to run the multiple virtual machines on single hardware. Why it is called as bare-metal hypervisor, directly installed the VMware ESXi Server on hardware and also it is Type-1 hypervisor. In this post, I will show you, how to upgrade VMware ESXi 5.1 to VMware ESXi 6.0 step by step. We can upgrade the ESXi host in several ways. They are
- vSphere Update Manager
- Interactively using an ESXi Installer ISO image
- Scripted upgrade
- vSphere Auto Deploy
- ESXi Command-line interface
In my Lab environment, I will upgrade VMware ESXi 5.1 to VMware ESXi 6.0 using an ESXi installer ISO Image on CD/DVD interactively. Before going to upgrade VMware ESXi 5.1, we make sure minimum hardware requirement must meet with upgrade of VMware ESXi 6.0.
VMware ESXi 6.0 Hardware Requirements:
- Verify the VMware ESXi 5.1 hardware is supported for upgrade or not through VMware Compatibility Guide. http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility.
- Required minimum two CPU cores.
- Minimum of 4 GB RAM is required for basic installation.
- Required the NX/XD bit to be enable for CPU in BIOS.
- Hardware Virtualization (Intel VT-X or AMD RVI) must be enabled for 64 bit CPU in BIOS Level.
- Required minimum 1 Gbps or more faster Ethernet Adapter.
- Required Local or shared SCSI Disk with minimum 6 GB free space.
Prepare the system for the upgrade:
- Make sure that the current ESXi version is supported for the upgrade.
- Make sure that the system hardware complies with ESXi.
- Make sure that sufficient disk space is available on the host for the upgrade.
- Back up the host before performing an upgrade. If the upgrade fails, you can restore the host.
- After the upgrade, test the system to ensure that the upgrade completed successfully
- Apply a ESXi 6.0 host license.
- If the upgrade was unsuccessful and you backed up the host, you can restore the host.
First, download the VMware ESXi 6.0 ISO Image from VMware web site. Please find the below link for reference.
After downloading the VMware ESXi 6.0 ISO Image from VMware web site and make sure the server is configured to boot from CD/DVD. Then mount the ESXi ISO image to CD/DVD and reboot the server
Select the ESXi-6-standard installer and press enter to continue the installation.
Loading ESXi Installer is in progress
Press Enter to begin the installation
Press F11 to Accept and continue
Select Local and press Enter
Select Upgrade ESXi, preserve VMFS datastore and press OK
Scanning system and Gathering additional system information
Press F11 to Upgrade
Upgrading to ESXi 6.0 is in progress
System has been successfully upgraded to ESXi 6.0.0 and press Enter to reboot
Rebooting server is in progress
Once upgradation is completed means download and install the vSphere client 6.0 and connect the host to manage. I hope this is informative for you. Thanks for reading my post……! If you feel worth please share it in social media.